My rabbit is sick or hurt!  Can you give me some advice?

The best thing you can do for your rabbit is to take them to see a rabbit-savvy veterinarian as soon as possible.  If this is an emergency and your regular vet is closed you can contact the University of MN Animal Hospital (612-626-8387).  Their emergency clinic is open 24/7!  You can check out our Rabbit-Savvy Vet List here.  

I found wild kits (baby bunnies) or an adult wild rabbit!  What should I do?

The main thing to remember when you uncover a nest of bunnies is leave them be.  

Rabbits are typically left alone for the majority of the day, with the mother only coming to nurse for a few minutes at dusk and dawn.  They do this so they don't draw attention to the nest of bunnies.  If you think that the rabbit has been abandoned by it's mother, then the best thing you can do for it, is to take it to The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota in Roseville (651-486-9453). If it has been injured the WRC will do what they can to help the baby.

Also remember that you most likely will not see the mother rabbit on the nest with the young kits. To protect the location of the nest, she avoids the area; coming back only to briefly nurse the young at dawn and dusk.

If your dog or cat has disturbed the nest, please only bring in any bunnies who have been injured or have been in your cat's mouth. Leave the other bunnies to be raised naturally.

I found a stray domesticated rabbit!  What should I do?

Check for identification and notify your community!

If no one claims the rabbit, the best thing to do is bring it to the Animal Humane Society.  Call their Pet Helpline at 952-HELP-PET (952-435-7738). Their representatives will explain the process and fees, and schedule an admissions appointment.

I need to re-home my rabbit.  Can you help me?

Unfortunately, the volunteer-based Minnesota Companion Rabbit Society cannot take in your rabbit. Our small network of foster homes cannot take in any more at this time, and when MCRS does have space, we work in partnership with shelters and other rescue agencies, rather than taking rabbits directly from the public. 

Surrender to the Animal Humane Society
If you live in the Twin Cities Metro Area your local animal shelter is the Animal Humane Society. They have five shelter locations: Golden Valley, Buffalo, Coon Rapids, St. Paul and Woodbury. Here is their General Information phone number: 763-412-4969. All locations have the same open admission policy which means they will take in any animal, unless it's bitten within the last 10 days. The Animal Humane Society accepts animals for surrender via scheduled appointment only, so be sure to call ahead.

We work closely with the Animal Humane Society (we even share several volunteers in common) and they make a special effort to provide correct housing, food, and environment to the bunnies in their care. In partnership with MCRS, they offer wonderful classes about caring for rabbits. They place great importance on educating families on what to expect. Best of all, the rabbits in their care often find their new forever homes quickly, with a minimum of waiting at the Society. 

Remember: Your local animal shelter has a qualified staff trained to screen and counsel adopters. Relinquishing your pet to your local shelter may be the best option for you, rather than finding a home on your own.

If you adopted your rabbit from MCRS and are unable to continue to care for the rabbit, whatever the reason, they should be returned to MCRS.  If you adopted your rabbit from another shelter or rescue organization most groups do ask—even require—that she be returned to the shelter where you adopted them.

Unfortunately it is too common for people to release their pet rabbit into the wild when they no longer want it. It may be easier for the humans to do this but make no mistake—releasing a pet rabbit into the wild is a death sentence.

I want to volunteer!  How do I sign up?

Check out the Foster and Volunteer sections of our website to learn more and sign up!